Sunday, September 11, 2016

U.S.A., Land of Limitations? By Nicholas Kristof

For this article I have chosen the reflection approach. Kristof's article challenges the classic idea of the "American Dream" and the impact of social Darwinism. Recently in my history class we went over the idea of social Darwinism in the dawn of the twentieth century. After learning the idea of social Darwinism I personally thought it was a propagandists movement used by the upper class to help separate and belittle the middle and lower classes of  America.  Even my professor agreed that the idea of social Darwinism wasn't a real scientific study, just a theory. I laughed at the idea, but then I went home and reflected on it. And ended up having several debates on the topic with friends and family members. And this article was the icing on the cake.

I personally thought social Darwinism was a hoax, you here all the "rags to riches" stories, and all the incredible tales of the athletes who made it big. But what about the rest of the people? I thought why not examine myself, and compare it to my friends. My friend group is very close, and money is a topic often talked about, we are comfortable enough with each other to share our economic situations. So I decided to compare myself to my friend "Bob" (I don't want to share his real name), to test Kristof's theory (and also because it had been on my mind for over a week and its a strange coincidence that this article talks about social Darwinism). Bob comes from a wealthy family, his mother works in the Nero Science department at Rhode Island Hospital and his father is a CEO of a popular New England company. Bob grew up wealthy, in a massive home. In high school, Bob had to be financially independent when it came to buying a car, or going out. Bob always drove a nice car, and always bought nice watches. He works for a fancy winery and jut bought a $20,000 car, in cash...

Myself on the other hand, comes from a single income divorced family. I live with my mother fulltime. She works as a legal assistant. The money is okay, but she supports three kids, one being a college student. I also am financially independent when it comes to my own expenses such as a car, my phone, car insurance, etc.. When I bought my first car, it cost $1200 dollars and required me to work two jobs to afford it. I still drive the same car today. I feel I work twice as hard as my friend "Bob" I work more hours at my job, and also landscape on the side. So whats the difference? Where is the American dream? Why am I not driving a sports car? Obviouly I cant prove the theory of social Darwinism, or disprove the American Dream but is the theory of social Darwinism a proven science? I sure hope not, because one day I hope I can make more money than my mom, and support my own family.

Comments:
The question I bring forward is; Do you feel that you fall subject to the idea of social Darwinism? Do you have any examples that support the idea of social Darwinism? After asking several of my friends if they have any examples of this idea? Two said absolutely and said it is a problem today in America.

No comments:

Post a Comment